There She Blows! A Flaming Toaster!

I have fond memories of being in the kitchen with my mother.  We loved to cook together all the time.  One of the things we make often was home made bread.  I don't know if any of you have used one but there is a device that you can put a piece of bread in hold it tight and slice it into two thin slices.  Makes the best crispy toast if you are using regular bread.  However, home made bread is usually cut a little thicker.  So, loving thin bread my mom always cut my dad's bread very thin. 

I can tell you we went through about three toasters that I know of due to either the bread catching on fire (dad liked it black), or the grease/butter from the home made bread (one of the ingredients).  My mom made it an art.  She mastered the knack of opening the door and chucking the toaster out in one smooth movement.  I think I also need to mention that she had to put an ark in the pitch due to the fact that our station wagon was parked on the cement patio/driveway.  The first time ever that I remember she chucked it to the left in the grass where we had an out door hose.  That was fun watching her stand out there dowsing it with water and our neighbors going to work just grinning at her. LOL

My second memory is during the winter.  We lost two toasters during the winter time.  Different years of course, but still during the winter.  There is nothing on a brisk, cold winters morning when the sun is just coming up over the horizon then to see your neighbor's door open up and a flaming toaster come sailing over a blue station wagon and land in the middle of the alley. Snow is what we used that time to put it out.

The best memory though again during the winter time was when the flames were so high she lost all sense of reason and didn't look when she started to chuck that flaming toaster out the door.  Lucky for the driver coming down the alley way she had given it enough force to not only clear the station wagon, but the alley as well and land in the snow bank on the other side.  That driver never came down our section of alley the rest of the winter. Wonder why? ;)



This has been another true story from my life growing up in Ohio.  Yes we did chuck flaming toasters out our door. And yes, it needs to be a redneck Olympic sport. LOL

As always my friends and family,

No worries and SKO!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Warmer Days Hotter Nights