Canoe Trips Remembered

Growing up in Ohio I was so lucky to have a dad that knew all the water ways. We always went conoeing on the Mad River.  I loved it.  There was a tractor pass that created a mini water fall that was safe for me to stay in the canoe and have my dad guide us over.

I loved stopping along the way in little coves to look for rocks and shells.  One time we stopped at a bank that had holes in it.  I used one for a foot hold and heard a grunting noise.  It was then my dad suggested I move my foot unless I wanted a muskrat tearing my foot and leg apart. lol

We passed near areas we couldn't get out due to the processing plant dumping "clean" water back into the river.  (still smelled. YUCK!)  In the spring it was dangerous due to the flooding.  I remember one time I wasn't allowed to go because I was so small.  But, one of the other parents in the group took their child.  He fell out of the canoe and got caught on a tree under the water.  The current was so strong they almost lost him.  I thank God that my dad had the water rescue training that he did that day.   You have to be very careful and know the river.  Dad taught me all he could.

During the summer was the best time to go when the water was a little low and not too much hazards.  During the fall you have to time it between the rains and dry spells or you run into the problems that you have in the spring.  I remember one time we went canoeing it was raining.  Every so often we would have to pull over and empty the boats.  Well, it was rainy and sunny that day so I had a pair of sunglasses.  Needless to say they ended up in the river floating down stream after one of our dump stops.

There is nothing like eating on the river too.  We'd bring coolers with drinks in one boat and a cooler in another boat would have the sandwiches and still another with snacks.  When you needed something you just pulled along side and either handed back and forth what was needed or used the paddles to pass the food. Ah, those were the days.

Where did we go to the bathroom you ask.  Well, at the halfway point there were portapots. But most of us just used the river for number one and the bank bushes for number two.  I was never a fan of the bushes.  My dad told me to watch out for copper heads (cotton mouths).  He said he wasn't about to suck the poison out of my butt if I got bit. LOL

At the end of the trips is a big dam.  I never went over that dam.  I was always dropped off before and walked passed so I could swim in the little cove there.  My grandpa one trip found a sink hole.  One minute he was walking  in the water and the next minute all we saw was a floating hat. He eventually came back out.  Poor fellow.  Grandma started chewing him out right away for scaring her without even asking if he was ok.

My dad's cousin decided to go over the dam with a canoe full of coke cans he had collected the entire trip.  Well, let's just say he wasn't the best at navigating a canoe to begin with, let alone going over a dam. LOL  He tipped over and all the coke can's went floating down stream.  I think after a half hour he collected most of them back.  lol

I love canoeing. If you ever get the chance, find a slow calm river (not a lake) and enjoy the day with the family.   There's nothing like the sound of water lapping up against an aluminum canoe.  Seeing the sunlight refracting in the water on the bottom of the river.  Seeing fish, rocks, river moss, the occasional leaf or branch under water.  Just keep your canoe out of the spider webs on the side of the bank.  They tend to be extra sticky. ;)

No Worries

SKO

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Warmer Days Hotter Nights